Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Children's Books, A Pastor's Library and the US Mail

There are four 67-pound bags full of books sitting on a boat (or a truck, or a train - but definitely not a plane) somewhere between here and Outer Mongolia. I was told several months ago of a wonderful service provided by the US Postal service called "International Media Mail". For right around $1 per pound, books can be shipped in bulk all over the world. While I am shipping no where near the entirety of my library to the mission field, I think that as a family we are shipping a lot more books than most. Confessedly, I was feeling a bit guilty about that at first. I told my wife that I wondered if I was holding on to too much. Does one really need so many books? She very wisely assured me that is was quite alright - and reminded me of the fact that we have a family of four - all of whom actually like to read. As I pack and ship the final bags I think about her words with a sense of joy. (Maybe not so much joy as drag my 67-pound bags through the line at the Franklin Post Office amid questioning stares of the curious Franklinite customers).

I read George Grant's Blog this morning (known by its ominous title "The Grantian Florilegium") and was encouraged by his May 9th post entitled "Reading Aloud". I reflect back on the days of reading outloud to my kids. We read "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Hobbit"; "Thomas the Tank Engine", "The Adventures of Uncle Wiggley" and "A Wrinkle in Time" - along with numerous other stories and tales and fables. I guess I can blame our familial shipment of books to Mongolia on the fruit of reading aloud - as to this day both of my children read - and enjoy it.

I think this to be a good thing, as the fact remains that God's revelation of himself has been left to us in a book that needs to be read. It is true, the Holy Spirit must quicken our spirit to awaken to the truth - but like every good story, words and eyes and brain and heart must work together to see that "In the beginning was the Word..."

I will let you know if our books make it all the way to Ulaanbaatar. But even if they don't, shipping them is a joy because I know my family has learned to read and loves to read. That makes a dollar a pound seem like an insignificant expense, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home