Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Saturday, October 22, 2005

The Extreme Challenge of Christian Biography

Tonight I am putting the final, concluding touches on the final installment of a mini-series of sermons (read: two weeks) on the life of Hudson Taylor. I have to confess that as I sit here in the climate-controlled atmosphere of Starbucks, sipping dark coffee within site of 5 churches; I clearly see the gaunlet thrown which challenges southern church comfort and American evangelical songs. Hudson Taylor's life of abiding in Christ is incredibly significant for me, personally. I feel the intense weight of it in my heart.

I am blogging with coffee, while people in Pakistan walk about with open wounds at the onset of winter with no shelter, no medical care - and for most - no Gospel. How should I live my life in light of those kinds of realities? Does it make a difference? Should it? It did in Hudson Taylor's life. He couldn't just sit by while millions perished without the Gospel. Should it bother us? I fear that we have been so acclimated to a culture of comfort, anything making us uncomfortable is viewed as evil; something that couldn't possibly be from God. Hudson Taylor's biography (as do many good biographies of saints who have walked before us) forces my eyes to look at the world and it's need. It makes me actually look at the hungry and the homeless and the illiterate and the lost and the dead in sin - and pray, "Lord God of the Harvest, thrust out laborers - and let me weep with you over that which surely breaks your heart." Life is a vapor. It's easily wasted. Biography will help to see life lived well, that we might do the same.

Father - show me how I then should live. If indeed, Your name and renown is the desire of my soul - show me - show your people - how do we live it? How do we live it now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home