Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Sorts of Graveyards

I walked through a graveyard today.

Cool tombstones, a warm breeze and puffy clouds - all hovering above the dead below. It was peaceful there. The flowers swayed in the breeze and the tombstones fell behind me as I walked over dried bones. Some of the Dead had only departed a short while ago; others left the land of the living decades earlier. All have ceased breathing, blood has stopped flowing, skin dried, cracked, decayed. Gone.

I walked through a graveyard today and casually strolled past years of eating and drinking and laughter and tears and lovemaking and marriage and heartache and happiness. Under my feet were lives that fought for freedom and lives that faught for the right to sin. Under my feet were bodies that had once breathed and sang. They now lay breathless and silent. It is a peaceful place. A warm breeze. Puffy clouds. Graves.

I came out of the graveyard today; into a busy street with very fast expensive cars being driven by busy people who are in an enormous hurry to get to the next enterprise that sucks life out of the soul. I walked past exteriorized religion, with all of its trappings and plastic smiles and silly songs. I walked past more people who had parked the H2 and are now speaking God-talk in quiet corners while attempting to close the five-figure sale to get the six-figure salary while sipping the four-dollar latte'.

As I walked, my heart grew sad and I cried in my spirit to my Great, Sovereign, Holy God for mercy. It was only then that I realized this fact:

I walked through a graveyard today. Not just the kind that is full of cool tombs and dry bones. I walked through a graveyard full of tombs that are living, breathing, walking, deal-closing, lovemaking, latte' sipping - Dead.

Holy, Sovereign Lord - have mercy on us.
Awaken your people.
Awaken the dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home