Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Monday, May 30, 2005

The Second Half

My Grandparents on my father's side of my family have passed away. One month ago they were both here. Today they are both gone. Obviously this saddens me and things have changed more than I realized. My Dad is now the patriarch. That makes me next in line. Truely "all flesh is grass" .

These changes in my family have given me cause for a significant amount of reflection and prayer. This week I have been at the General Council of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Today I am by myself and reflecting some more on the significance of what has taken place in my life in recent days and weeks - and this sort of contemplation begets thoughts about the entirety of my life. I am 37 1/2 years old. By all statistical realities my pilgrimage on this planet is at least half way over with, and it seems to me that the days only pass by more quickly. The train is picking up speed and the landscape is flying by the window so quickly now that I can hardly get my bearings on the scenery.

Here's the determination that has been made in my spirit this week:

By God's good grace, I will not waste the second half of my life. The short time that I have on this fallen planet will be used with the utmost efficiency for the Glory of my Creator and Redeemer. I don't know all of what that will mean. I do know it will mean that I will live for the glory of Christ and that I will make whatever sacrifice necessary to to pursue, comprehend, experience and enjoy that Glory - and to introduce others to the same joy. I will not waste the second half. I don't know all that this means. I do know that it will require radical obedience and uncompromising self-discipline - among other things that I don't even realize. But, I will not waste the second half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home