Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Pastoral Confession of Verbicide

I have erred. Enormity is NOT the correct word to be used in understanding Ephesians 1:18. In this past Sunday's message, I said that this verse has two words which help to understand the point: Enormity and possession. The problem is the fact that 'enormity' is the wrong word. The right word would actually be the word 'enormousness' (Ouch that's awkward!).

Here is the ever-so-kind email I received:

While it would seem only common sense that enormity would mean "the quality of being unusually large or great in size, amount, or degree," that is not true; the word to use, and it seems a clumsy, lengthy clunker by comparison, is enormousness, since enormity has the sense of meaning given below (thanks are due to Encarta for the pasted text from the URL cited below).


e·nor·mi·ty (plural e·nor·mi·ties)


noun

1. evil: extreme evil or moral offensiveness
the enormity of his crimes against humanity


2. very evil act: a very evil or morally offensive deed


[15th century. Via French énormité from Latin enormitas , from enormis “irregular” (see enormous).]

Word Usage

enormity or enormousness?

Enormity is the older word, and after several changes in usage over several centuries it settled down in the 19th century in the meaning associated with evil. It is used in this way both as a concept or attribute and as a concrete word with a plural form: We were shocked by the enormity of the crime. The regime committed many enormities to suppress opposition. Enormousness is the only word in this pair that refers, in correct usage, to significant size: We were daunted by the enormousness of the task.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861608560/enormity.html

Years ago, I tutored two teen boys who were both startled and appalled to learn that even at what they considered my advanced age, I still frequently consulted a dictionary, either to learn the meaning of a new word or to confirm the correct spelling and use of those words that I considered old friends. I think they had been hoping that the end was in sight: adulthood would free them from having to continue the hard work of learning.

Oh no, don't tell us it goes on forever! Two decades later I have to go to the dictionary even more often because senior moments cause me to fuzz out on things that I know I knew, but now I don't always remember. I still have a photographic memory, but it no longer offers same day service. One of the consolations of this is that I have the pleasure of constantly relearning things.


I always appreciate your input - particularly when it comes to the proper use of words. I will not claim to be any sort of true 'verbologist' - but it is something that is important to me! My sincere apologies to anyone who may have stumbled over the wrong use of a word!

Now we can pray that God will show us 'the enormousness' of our inheritance!

John Quincy Adams said, "Slovenly language corrodes the mind". I will be sure to correct any personal slack or laziness when it comes to using the right word. The enormity of that crime would be unforgivable.

Grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home