Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Perpetuating the Dying

I have always said that I am not ashamed to declare that I am a pastor in the Christian and Missionary Alliance and that I am happy that this is the affiliation of our church. I continue to do so. I love what the C&MA is doing all over the world. The work of the C&MA in the difficult places and among the unreached peoples of the world is truly inspirational. God is at work. I am glad to be associated with such. However - now all niceties aside - I read a quote today that I wish the 'powers that be' would really take to heart. It is from Samuel Escobar's The New Global Mission: The Gospel from Everywhere to Everyone (Christian Doctrine in Global Perspective); InterVarsity Press, 2003.

ANY LONG-RANGE vision for missions must include not only the planting of new churches but also the renewal of old ones. The former without the latter eventually leads only to lands full of dead and dying churches. The birth of new congregations is no guarantee that they will remain spiritually alive.


I received word today that yet another church in our District is closing. There are several others that I personally know are drying up on the vine and should probably already have shut their doors. It's a grevious thing. I know that most reading this little blog are not going to be overly concerned about this issue - but it's one that I believe is vital and is near to my heart. Existing local churches must do what it takes to shore up weaknesses and call upon the graciousness and mercy of our Lord. If we are truly going to be those who send laborers to the difficult places, we must be those who are willing to labor here - and do what it takes to see the Kingdom of God flourish in this place, which can also be quite difficult. Sin and Satan are the same wherever we go. But our weapons are also the same - we don't use weapons of flesh. We use weapons of Spirit. The Word of God. Prayer. The Gospel of Christ crucified.

I am praying for renewal in our churches. We need an awakening. I commend Escobar's book to you. Read it. Get a vision for renewal and prayer. I pray that the C&MA in the US will move beyond perpetuating the dead and dying and seek true ressurection and life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home