Pastor's Blog

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
I Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Passion '05 - What's Your Story?

I must confess that I attended the Passion '05 conference in Nashville, TN not knowing what to expect. My attendance was out of obedience - i.e., I knew this was something God wanted me to do. I also readily admit that the music and the speakers are appealing me and (even more significantly) the heartbeat behind Passion and the 268 Declaration is quite in sync with my own. Every Sunday I teach the Bible. The Bible calls us to live outside of ourselves and our little lives and our little story and to live inside of God's greater story. This is the Christ-magnifying, God-exalting chronicle that the entire earth needs to hear. I rejoice in the fact that Passion has the platform on which to sing that song. And they sing it loud. They are calling an entire generation to live life with God as supreme. That's a marvelously counter-culture call.

For those who may not know, Passion '05 was a loud gathering of college students (15,000 strong) who came together for loud worship and thoroughly Biblical teaching (John Piper, Beth Moore, Louie Giglio) through which there was a resounding (translate -loud?) call for students to stop trying to be the stars of their own little stories, but rather to embrace the role God has for them in His story that is bigger and greater than every story. Live for one thing. Have one passion. All fame is fleeting - but the renown of One lasts forever. Live for it. Live for Him.

I saw students visibly moved by this message.

I came away from this week wondering how the church should respond. I witnessed students willing to relocate themselves to the dark and difficult campuses where there is little light. Many committed themselves to world missions and to go to the hard and dangerous places of the earth. I am asking myself these questions: How do we turn passion into obedience? What is the local churches? role in this process? The thought of releasing an army of missionaries ready to lose their lives for the sake of the beautiful and wonderful cross of Christ is breathtaking. We are fools not to see that God is doing something here. If you are reading this and a part of FCC, would you pray with me about this? How can FCC train, equip and mobilize students and fan the flame that was ignited last week? If you are not in my church and are reading this - I'd love to have your input. If you attended Passion '05 email me Bernie@fccfranklin.com and let me know how I can pray for you. Also, if you are involved with student mobilization, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Matt Redman sang it well:

Let worship be the fuel for mission's flame
We're going with a passion for Your name
We're going for we care about Your praise
Send us out

Let worship be the heart of mission's aim
To see the nations recognize Your fame
'Til every tribe and tongue voices Your praise
Send us out


You should be the praise of every tongue, Jesus
You should be the joy of every heart
But until the fullness of Your kingdom comes
Until the final revelation dawns
Send us out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home